SELF RELIANT UGANDA
SELF RELIANT Uganda
Contact Person: AHIMBISIBWE NABOTH JAMES
Executive Director Self Reliant Uganda
Introduction and Background
SELF RELIANT Uganda is an independent registered non-government and nonprofit civil society organization based at Wakiso Kampala . SELF RELIANT UGANDA Uganda prime motto is capacity building and services delivery to the deprived and marginalized people of the society.
In 2020 a group of educated, dynamic and like-minded youth working in the development sector, got together to establish an organization, for addressing the most urgent and pressing needs of the people of Uganda targenting Vulnerable and Disadvantaged youth from all regions of the Country . True to this spirit the organization was named SELF RELIANT Uganda
Considering their association with the development sector the group was cognizant of the plethora of problems plaguing the country. Consequently, the organization’s focus was not kept limited either in in terms of geography or sector. Whilst operating in different districts of the Uganda, SELF RELIANT UGANDA has been carrying a range of interventions in the areas of education, health & hygiene, youth & women empowerment, emergency response & preparedness, governance, free legal aid, human rights, etc.
The type of activities undertaken by the organization range from capacity building to service delivery, with focus remaining on the deprived and marginalized segments of the society. Whereas in terms of operations what characterizes SELF RELIANT UGANDA ’s functioning are its efforts to (a) enlist involvement of the locals when initiating activities at the grass root level; and (b) mobilize women for bringing peace, tolerance, and development in society.
Although a somewhat new entry in the development arena, SELF RELIANT UGANDA – owing to the linkages of its members with national & international funding agencies – enjoys a diverse portfolio, characterized by partnership with organizations that embrace their core values and wish to move with them in order to address the challenges the organisation wish to achieve
The mission of SELF RELIANT UGANDA is to contribute to the education of young people, through a value system
based, to help build a better world where people are self-fulfilled as individuals and play a constructive role in society
“An enabling environment for the realization, respect, and protection of fundamental human rights among youth and develop their leadership qualities to make them active contributor within the society”
The goal of SELF RELIANT UGANDA is to contribute in improving the living standard of the vulnerable communities of Balochistan through community mobilization, capacity building, advocacy & strengthening of institutions at the grass root level.
A sustainable strategy is devised to achieve the maximum, a need based and right based approach initiated ascertains the problem with fully community involvement and mobilizing all indigenous and local resources. The program goal are materialized with a helping hand from members donor agencies, Philanthropists
Thematic Programme / Areas of Focus
- Youth Empowerment
- Community Physical Infrastructures
- Emergency Response and Preparedness
- Women Empowerment
- Free Legal Aid and Education
The overall development objective of (SELF RELIANT UGANDA ) is enhanced ability in the target communities to tackle their own economic, social and environmental problems for sustainable community development.
- To educate the deprived and under privilege common folk about the basic human rights and find basis to incorporate their efforts and mobilization to achieve maximum output
- To enable the community in development of local level institutions and assist them in undertaking community based welfare and development interventions.
- To Provide quality legal assistance to juvenile victims of sexual abuse, exploitation and trafficking, especially street children in conflict with law and children in detention, vulnerable to sexual abuse
- To provide a place for students to relax and enjoy an inexpensive, healthy meal in a fun atmosphere. SELF RELIANT UGANDA also makes itself available to student groups for meetings and special events
- Promote Gender equality.
- To devise and organize for women and children particularly to their rights to acquire educations and improve their health and earnings.
- To ensure full participation of local level grassroots organizations in decision making process including problem identification, planning, management, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation aimed at sustainability
- To facilitate easy access to credit and motivate communities for group saving leading towards small enterprise development and income generating activities aimed at economic empowerment.
- To work for environmental protection, pollution abatement, water supply and hygienic sanitation.
- To fight against drug abuse and launching programmes aimed at rehabilitation of drug addicts
- To establish a resource centre aimed at facilitating target communities and local level institutions through information, education and communication.
- Assisting communities in disaster prediction and mitigation through various relief and rehabilitation programmes.
- To develop effective linkages with government line agencies, nongovernment organizations, and donor agencies working for community development.
- Human resource development and training aimed at skill enhancement and knowledge up gradation in order to ensure better implementation of participatory rural development programmes by community partners.
- Conservation of natural resources, bio-diversity and environmental protection.
- Implementation of programmes aimed at basic health care services (preventive and curative) including maternal health, child health, safe drinking water, hygienic sanitation, management of waste disposal, population welfare, immunization, etc. leading towards reduced mortality.
- To establish new community schools and upgrade the existing ones in order to provide education facilities to those most in need with special focus on female child.
- Implementation of women welfare and development programmes aimed at socio-economic empowerment of women through their participation in all developmental programmes.
- Raising awareness of environmental issues through advocacy, networking, public interest litigation and education.
- Organizing issue-specific and objective-oriented campaigns building social pressure to influence decision-making at national and international levels in favour of deprived, marginalized and vulnerable segments of the community.
Our Specific Objectives Includes:
- To Provide quality legal assistance to juvenile victims of sexual abuse
- Increased household income and economic activities.
- Establish youth Group in different areas in Uganda for economic transformation .
- To Provide Education Service to all categories of youth
- Promote Gender equality.
- Humanitarian assistance in natural and manmade disaster.
- To devise and organize for women youth and children particularly to their rights to acquire educations and improve their health and earnings.
- To increase the education of the target community for the betterment of their own subsistence.
- To establish working relations amongst provincial government, bar councils and like-minded non-government organizations
- Improve health conditions by providing basic health and hygiene education and services to the communities residing in neglected areas
What SELF RELIANT UGANDA Does?
Influenced by the new development paradigm, which puts people before things, SELF RELIANT UGANDA follows a participatory approach in every sphere of its work. The traditional knowledge of the rural poor is valued and respected, and there is confidence that rural people are capable of self-reliant organization. On a practical level, the fundamental thrust of this approach is decentralization and empowerment.
For a community to be able to work for its own development and reduce its dependency there is a need for full involvement at all stages of the development cycle. The participation of communities in identification, planning, management, implementation and evaluation of projects is a key factor in SELF RELIANT UGANDA work. Internally a participatory approach is adopted in managing the affairs of SELF RELIANT UGANDA .
Externally, SELF RELIANT UGANDA role as a “change agent” helps to develop community management structures that are capable of managing their own development. This increases the ability of the community to demand accountability in all their affairs, from leaders and officials. It reinforces the community’s belief in the value of their own development choices and efforts. These community management structures are not parallel structures, but are built upon traditional institutions, promoting equitable representation and participation
Human resource development is an essential part of our development work. This means ensuring that the community is trained and skilled, as well as organized, to maximize the potential of the community to take hold of its own development.
SELF RELIANT UGANDA strongly believes in maximizing its impact by transferring field experiences into knowledge to influence the development policies and practices of NGOs, donors and government agencies. This is important for working towards the long-term goal of eradicating poverty.
During the process of social mobilization, SELF RELIANT UGANDA adopted a participatory, self-help, self-sustainable approach through community involvement and formation of volunteer groups in remote rural areas of Baluchistan
Sustainable rural development is a dynamic process posing various needs at different phases of time. These can be dealt with continuous interventions based on designed frameworks that incorporate the requirements projected by the communities and with the help of the communities by strategizing for public-private partnership.
Scope of Work
SELF RELIANT UGANDA has strong linkages with major NGOs and funding agencies working in Uganda and other developed countries and we don’t limited anyone who wish to join us
- Respect for individual
- Participation in communal activities
- Transparency in all transactions
- Accountability to all the actions/deeds performed by an individual
- Cost efficiency
- Gender sensitivity
Values guiding our work
- TRUE: Ensuring transparency at all levels of our work
- PROFICIENCY : Providing creative expertise and strong commitment
- SOLIDARITY: Within our NGO and with the people we aim to support
- JUSTICE: Within our NGO as well as in society
- INTEGRITY To act according to the values we wish to promote
- FLEXIBILITY Showing our willingness to change and learn
SELF RELIANT UGANDA follows the below mentioned guiding principles in implementation of its projects/programmes:
- Use of indigenous knowledge
- Making efforts to achieve highest quality standards
- Promoting a culture of innovation and creativity
- Meeting deadlines
- Enhancing networking and coordination
- Facing challenges
- Highly qualified, experienced and devoted professionals and board members and staff;
- Adaptability to cope up and meet the requirements of diverse socio cultural environment;
- Overwhelming support of local people.
- Acceptance as a representative of common people of the area.
- Extensive network to undertake initiatives at grassroots;
- Availability of state-of-the-art modern equipment and tools;
- Strong partnerships for undertaking innovative initiatives;